Dear Congregation Beth Israel members and friends,
Shavua tov / a (slightly belated) good week to you!
This week we’re reading the Torah portion called Lech Lecha (“Go Forth!” or “Go Into Yourself”) in the book of Bereshit (Genesis). The name of the Torah portion is a hyperlink; click on it to be taken to the Torah portion in English if you want to read the portion before coming to Shabbat services. If you would like to read some commentaries on this week’s Torah portion, here are a few:
- Going forth into something new, 2006 (by Reb Rachel)
- First step [Torah poem], 2008 (by Reb Rachel)
- On going forth, 2010 (by Reb Rachel)
- Becoming Avraham: names and transformation in Lech-Lecha, 2013 (by Reb Rachel)
- Lech Lecha: Reform Commentaries (the Union for Reform Judaism’s page for this Torah portion, which contains several different Reform commentaries)
This Shabbat, our shaliach tzibbur (prayer leader) for morning services will be Rabbi Rachel.
We extend a hearty thank you in advance to this week’s service hosts. If you would like to join the shamashim (“helpers”) who welcome people to our Shabbat services and who host our light kiddush afterwards, contact Pattie Lipman.
We also extend thanks to our member Helene Armet for the beautiful home-baked challah!
We hope to see you soon at CBI. Have a great week!