Dear Congregation Beth Israel members and friends,
Shavua tov / a (slightly belated) good week to you!
This week we’re reading the Torah portion called Shoftim in the book of Deuteronomy. The name of the Torah portion is a hyperlink; click on it to be taken to the Torah portion in English if you want to read the portion before coming to Shabbat services. If you would like to read some commentaries on this week’s Torah portion, here are a few:
- 2006: Turning potential into reality , Rabbi Rachel
- 2008: Beat [Torah poem], Rabbi Rachel
- 2009: The place [Torah poem], Rabbi Rachel
- Shoftim (Judges) (commentary by a Jewish Renewal rabbi, Rabbi Shefa Gold)
- Humility and Justice (commentary by a Jewish Renewal rabbinic student, Reb David Markus, who serves as a judge as part of his “day job”)
- Shoftim: Reform Commentaries (the Union for Reform Judaism’s page for this Torah portion, which contains several different Reform commentaries)
This Shabbat, our shaliach tzibbur (prayer leader) for morning services will be Rabbi Pam Wax.
We extend a hearty thank you in advance to this week’s service hosts. If you would like to join the shamashim (“helpers”) who welcome people to our Shabbat services and who host our light kiddush afterwards, contact Pattie Lipman.
We also extend thanks to our member Helene Armet for the beautiful home-baked challah!
We hope to see you soon at CBI. Have a great week!